If you have been struggling with addiction or co-occurring mental disorders like bipolar disorder, PTSD, depression, schizophrenia, anxiety disorders and so on, you have to access the right treatment. In this case, dual diagnosis treatment is the best option for you because it addresses both mental illnesses and addiction at the same time. The treatment is very critical to the psychological establishment and recovery.
Addiction and mental health disorders co-occur and a very high rate with some of them having serious mental problems. The causes of such problems include:
- Those suffering from mental illness may decide to self-medicate by using drugs or alcohol as a way to escape their psychological problems
- Drugs and alcohol are predisposes of mental health
- Addiction or substance abuse can enhance mental illness symptoms and cause new ones to emerge.
These factors make you more susceptible to alcohol and drug use, thereby deteriorating your mental illness. As such, dual diagnosis treatment becomes crucial to combat cases of addiction and mental illness.
Importance of dual diagnosis
In yesteryears, there was a raging debate as to whether one should treat addiction first and the co-occurring mental disorder later. Nowadays, mental disorder and addiction and not too different, but they are intertwined, psychologically, biologically and experientially. Experts in the mental health have deduced that if there are a comprehensive and integrated addiction and mental disorder treatment, the outcomes are far much better than. This is because the treatment addresses the behavioral and suffering concurrently. When you seek dual diagnostic treatment for your addiction, you gain the following:
- The treatment identifies the cause of your addiction and emotional suffering
- It gives you a deep insight into the relationship between your addiction and the mental problems, plus the impediments they present to your healing process.
- This treatment also gives you the necessary skills to deal with distress without a relapse to alcohol or drugs.
- It provides therapies that anchor on evidence to meet your unique needs as a patient
- If you access the right, well-tolerated pharmacological therapies, you are assisted in dealing with the symptoms of your mental illness as you progress towards sobriety.
Your recovery process hinges on then health treatment you receive from clinicians specialized in dual diagnostic treatment. As such, you become capable of fortifying your recovery and finding the much-needed relief from any psychological pain. You embark on a new chapter for long-term behavioral and emotional recovery.
Insofar as this treatment is concerned, it should transcend treating symptoms and be delivered with kindness warmth and compassion. The treatment should uplift you and reinvigorate your spirits. Addiction and mental illness are almost the same, but one must be able to differentiate between their varying symptoms, and this can be difficult at times. If you are seeking this treatment, ensure that you ask about the scope of diagnostic testing used by the clinic. You also need to know if this testing will be incorporated the cost of treatment. If addiction and mental disorder are recognized, they may impact your life in different ways when it comes to treating them.
The treatment should keep you engaged through incentives for change to ensure the process yields the desired outcome. Even though the treatment may present different challenges to the patient, with a good understanding of the entire process, one can recover from this condition.